Wefarm is the world’s largest knowledge network and marketplace for small-scale farmers. Using Wefarm they can share and access vital information, products and services without needing any access to the internet.
Small-scale agriculture is the biggest industry on earth, with more than a billion farmers globally supplying 80% of the world's food and commodities, yet remaining digitally unconnected. No one has built a platform for this… until Wefarm. Join us and be a part of our mission to build an ecosystem for global agriculture with the farmer in the centre!
Launching in 2015, we now have 1.4 million farmers using Wefarm, sharing more than 1.5 million Q’s & A’s a month (that’s about 1 every second!). Wefarm has raised investment from some of the world’s leading VCs, including True Ventures in Silicon Valley, and we are looking to add to our world class team based in London, Nairobi, Kampala and Dar-es-Salaam.
About the Role
As part of the next stage of our growth, we are looking for an exceptional Head of Engineering to help lead and shape the future of our tech department. More specifically, as Wefarm’s Head of Engineering you will:
- Lead - You will line manage the team of engineers providing technical direction, guidance, and hands-on management, promoting engineering excellence across the team & business
- Teach - Facilitating continuous skills development by inspiring, motivating and mentoring the engineers, ensuring Wefarm continues to develop as a great and enriching place to work.
- Deliver - Enabling a culture of innovation and creative approaches to delivering OKRs, with hands-on in software development life cycle and delivering product from concept to pilot phases. You will have proficiency in troubleshooting, root-cause analysis, application design, and implementing components for ambitious globally impactful projects
You will be joining the business during a period of rapid growth, which presents a tremendous opportunity to shape the team and influence overall strategy and direction. Therefore we are looking for a natural leader with the ability to effectively manage and positively influence stakeholders across the business and someone who is not overwhelmed by new technology, tight timelines, or parallel projects. More specifically you will have:
- Management and mentoring experience - You'll play a mentorship role to key engineering personnel, assisting in their duties upon request, and constantly promoting the growth of their professional skills. Taking a collaborative approach to working with Product, Data and Engineering teams to find solutions and define project scope.
- Collaborative mindset and strong communication skills - Wefarm is a multi-cultural organization with many languages spoken by a team from highly diverse backgrounds. It's common to be collaborating with non-technical colleagues across the planet through choppy internet connections where English is their second language so the ability to convey complex concepts simply with clear articulation and patience is important.
- Deep knowledge of computer science fundamentals, data structures, and algorithms - The Head of Engineering must be technologically adept and demonstrate outstanding computer skills. They will possess a detailed understanding of data modelling and SQL for scalability and performance. The Head of Engineering must also demonstrate expertise in full stack architecture technologies and be highly familiar with a variety of programming languages. We currently use Clojure and Clojurescript, so familiarity with functional programming and a desire to learn is certainly considered hugely beneficial.
- Academic qualifications - A master’s degree (PhD preferred) in Computer Science or any other relevant field. The equivalent in working experience would also be acceptable for this position.
Unfortunately, we will only be able to respond to shortlisted candidates.